Stockdale is a city in Wilson County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,693 at the 2010 census. It is part of the San AntonioMetropolitan Statistical Area. Previously an area named High Prairie, Free Timber and Bunker's Store, Stockdale was named after Fletcher Stockdale, the lieutenant governor of Texas, when the town was established in 1863. In 1898 the San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railroad reached Stockdale. The town was incorporated in 1919, and Stockdale's annual Watermelon Jubilee began in 1937. Stockdale is located at 29140N975743W / 29.23333N 97.96194W / 29.23333; -97.96194 (29.233371, -97.961987). This is 25 miles south of Seguin and 40 miles southeast of Downtown San Antonio. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.6square miles (4.2km), all of it land.